Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Women In Our Lives

To all who have wonderful and influential women in their lives, please read.
This is NOT a feminist post... I hope I can sufficiently put my thoughts into word.

As I've considered the events of the last few months of my life, the fact that we celebrated the 175th Anniversary of the organization of the Relief Society in the church, and just had the General Women's meeting, the important women in my life have been on my mind. I want to tell you about these women and how they have influenced me to become the woman I am today.

First of all, my mother Helen. The first and possibly the most important woman in a person's life is their mom. And I think I have a pretty good one. My mom has taught me to be independent and how to care for a family and home properly. She has been a stay at home mom raising 7 kids and continues to be a champion homemaker. She's one of the best cooks I know and manages to balance schedules of kids in a wide range of ages and activities. I think I can speak for all of my siblings when I say she's our biggest fan. I've always had total support from both my parents and still continue to now.  For the last year, my mom has also been the primary caregiver for her mother, my grandmother, as her health declined in her old age. It takes a special kind of person to do the things my mom did for my grandmother. I've learned from my mother's actions and faith how to be a righteous member of the church and strengthen my testimony through service. My mother is a selfless, sensitive, supportive and loving woman, and I am honored to be her daughter.

One of the great things about getting married is getting another mom! I got a good one. My mother-in-law, Wendy, has not only been an influential part of my life while I've been married, but she was also my third grade teacher and my neighbor for many years. She has taught me the importance of hard work, perseverance, and being prepared. I asked my husband how important his mom is to him and this is what he had to say, "My mom sacrificed a lot and worked hard to make sure me and my brother had everything we needed. She got me to where I am today and I can't thank her enough."
And I can't thank her enough for raising such a wonderful man. As a single mother of two strong willed boys, my mother-in-law had to work very hard and go through a lot of heartache to get where she is today. She does so much for the people she loves, without expecting anything in return. I'm so grateful to have a hard-working, selfless, Disney-loving, other mother in my life.

On October 23, 2016, my family lost a dear mother, grandmother, and friend. Yvonne Grover Cox was a woman of strength, perseverance, and love. She worked hard and did all she could for her family right up until the end. She lost an almost 4 year battle with cancer, but not once did she complain. Grandma Cox taught me the value of work and to always keep a positive attitude. Through years of pain and heartache, I don't think I ever heard her speak a negative word or complain about immense pain she was feeling. She cared  for each person in her family and always made you feel important. I think about her often and miss her dearly, but I'm so grateful to have a heavenly angel watching over me. 

On March 9, 2017, Leah Dunford Parkinson Christensen passed away peacefully in her home surrounded by her family. Another dear mother, grandmother, aunt, and friend that always put people first. Grandma Leah would say, "I don't sing, or dance, or play an instrument, my only talent is loving people." And she truly did. From Grandma Leah, I learned the importance of education and being a woman of strength in the workplace. She was a well educated businesswoman who put her whole heart and soul into her work. She loved helping people and was a prominent part of many lives. You were always the most important person to Grandma. The impact of her love of people became very apparent at her recent funeral when hundreds of people, from near and far, showed up to pay their respects. She lived a long and full life that I am blessed to have been a part of. She will be missed by many, but I'm grateful to have another angel grandmother.

I am proud to carry the names of both of my wonderful grandmothers, TaLeah Yvonne Cox Faumui, and hope I can continue their legacy of love.  

I can't talk about the women in my life without mentioning my sister, Emma. I am pretty lucky to have a sister amongst 5 little brothers. We have become very close in the last few years and I'm grateful for the relationship we have now. Emma is maturing into a beautiful and wonderful woman and I love watching her grow. Emma knows how to be a great friend and keep a positive attitude. Her world was turned upside down when our family decided to move from our childhood home during her sophomore year of high school, to a bigger and far away place. She faced this experience head on and has made countless new friends and immersed herself completely in the new place. I know it has been hard for her, but she has done it with a smile on her face and a determination to be her best self. I admire her so much for that.

Last, but certainly not least, I have to mention all of my aunts, cousins, and friends that have been influential women in my life. I can always count on them to be there when I need them and provide extra love and support. I love each and every one of you!

Sister Linda K. Burton, Relief Society General President, spoke of "certain" women in the recent General Women's meeting. She told of certain women in the scriptures and during the time of the Restoration. She also told us of the certain women in our lives that influence us for good through their true discipleship and sacrifices. I know for certain that all of the women in my life are among those great disciples.

Former Young Women general president Margaret D. Nadauld taught: “The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.”

I am so eternally grateful for the tender, kind, refined, and faithful women in my life. I wouldn't be the woman I am today without their influence and love. Thank you to all the wonderful women of the world and I hope we can strive every day to emulate their attributes. We need more women like them.







No comments:

Post a Comment